Leopard 10.5 on Macbook with cracked screen

How to install Leopard on a Apple laptop with a broken LCD:

I used an external monitor which required me to purchase a mini DVI to VGA adapter ($19 at Best Buy) in order to connect to my old CRT. Once I booted the computer to the Leopard DVD the Apple display drivers would load and default to the primary and broken LCD therefore I could not read any of the installation instructions. The trick is to close the top of the computer as soon as you power on the laptop in order to cause the Apple drivers to default to the external monitor. This method works every time but only after too much time spent with trial and error figuring it out.

13 comments:

  1. THANK YOU VERY MUCH. You saved hours of swearing. Jobs 0 You 1.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOD, THANK YOU!! I thought I was the only one with this problem and I was going nuts trying to figure this out. Thank you for putting up this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, I can't even express my gratitude, I was going to break the whole fucking thing, so you saved me a lot of money. Thanks again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much, from Barcelona.

    It's a fucking awesome solution.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this did not work for my powerbook g4 1.33

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thankfully I have only had to do this with a 13" Macbook and nothing older, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks, saved me a lot of trouble!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. Thanks! I thought I was screwed. At least there were a few other people out there with the same problem. cheers mate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you VERY, VERY much from Norway! I also thought I was the only one with this problem, but I was wrong!

    Again; THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pure genious...you saved my life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!! i also thought i was the only one with this issue and i wanted to smash it into pieces when i encountered this problem, so thank you very much :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much u saved me alot of work :)))

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you from Brazil!!

    ReplyDelete